Sunday, June 1, 2008

A milestone





I love talking about dead people…..especially Rita. But today my mind is filled with a person whom I love like crazy. It is my beloved (and very much alive) husband, John "ScubaCat" Trabosh. Today, not far away in Hubbard, Oregon he is having his Van's Aircraft experimental RV9 airplane flown for the first time. He built this plane over the last 2 years. It's really ridiculous how incredible this feat is to me.

Not only in the fact that he did it, but truly the way he did it. Methodically, quietly, intelligently and passionately. The boy loves to fly. And if you have a pilot in your life and want to make their eyes glow, let them speak AT LENGTH about ailerons or intersection fairings or the empennage horizontal stabilizers or …….. WHA???? Whoo – hoo! I love my pilot and his passion.

The weather is overcast and drizzly today. He's hired a test pilot to take the initial flight. He'd do it but I sincerely believe he'd be so excited he could miss something. And the inaugural flight should not be the final flight…..so a better experienced pilot is a better solution. I am clearly not at the hangar for this momentous occasion. I tend to distract ScubaCat. And he doesn't need that….and I'm not interested in being ignored so here I sit.

But I want to celebrate the man the holds me dear and keeps me interested. We met in 1980 when I was a sweet young thing of 22….he was a very cool 40 year old trying to figure out how to raise his four children alone. I distracted him when he least was looking to be distracted. And we've been distracting each other ever since.

Congratulations my dearest friend and husband. And here's a quote that speaks to me for you and said in the year of your birth.

You'll be bothered from time to time by storms, fog, snow. When you are, think of those who went through it before you, and say to yourself, 'What they could do, I can do.' Antoine de Saint Exupéry, 'Wind, Sand and Stars' 1939.

And I know you can do it. Much love to you, V






2 comments:

Sara said...

WOW, that's exciting - can't wait to hear how the voyage went!

SNAP! said...

Wow! Give John our heart-felt congratulations. That is really an amazing feat. Blog about how it went...I'd love to know!