Sunday, June 15, 2008

Mayor v Queen for a Day



I've lived in Lake Oswego for 26 years. When we moved from Cleveland to this area we chose it for its schools and neighborhoods and proximity to Portland. Like many small communities it has its share of drama. I haven't noticed much all these years but suddenly this little town will be much more interesting to me for at least one special day.

I am part of the Lake Oswego Rotary and enjoy carrying out the theme of service above self. Last night was our annual Lobster Feed which clears over $100,000 for charities in the Portland area. There is a silent and oral auction. We entered items into the silent and oral auctions and then I try VERY hard not to bid on anything!

We need nothing. I can sell three quarters of the STUFF I have and not miss it. I know this, and yet I wander the tables. Looking for that MUST have item. One little thing caught my eye.....MAYOR FOR A DAY IN LAKE OSWEGO! Now that sounds like fun. Bid a few times and ended up winning. Whoo hoo! (do mayors say 'whoo hoo'??) Off to a shaky start already!

I'll follow Mayor Judy Hammerstad for a day (includes lunch - I'm all about that!) and see what it's like to run this lovely little town of ours. And already the power is going to my head! How exciting is this!?

Dead Rita and I used to watch Queen for a Day in the early 1960's. I always wanted her to be Queen for a Day....she was perfect. And the gifts! Ah! A refrigerator! A stove! I remember nothing else. But the scepter, the cape, the crown, the adoration, and then...the refrigerator!!

I wonder if Mayor for a day comes with any of those things? I've never seen Mayor Judy with any regal finery.....could be my first (and last) order of business! I'd love a new refrigerator too.

Oh well. I may have to be content wielding little or no power just watching local government in action.

A little fantasy I've had for the last 12 years since we passed through the town of Cashmere Washington was becoming THEIR Mayor! They make aplets and cotlets there. If you don't know what they are, here's a website: http://visitcashmere.com/ A long shot for sure since we have no plans to relocate.....

But, Mayor for a Day in Lake Oswego......maybe for xxxx number of days in Cashmere?? As I can well attest: anything is possible!

1 comment:

Sara said...

cashmere looks awesome - can't wait to hear about your mayor for a day experience!