Friday, May 2, 2008

The End of my Jubilee Year



It's amazing that as humble as Dead Rita's beginnings were, she named a daughter in 1957 after Queen Victoria! And I've always known it. I knew that Victoria meant victorious. I knew that Queen meant Queen. And I cozied up to it! And she never called me VICTORIA DIANE! when I was in trouble. Not that I got in that much trouble. A pretty good kid….and when I wasn't good, I kept it quiet.


I've always felt an expectation to succeed. In many families it is spoken. In mine, it was understood. And so I met and exceeded Dead Rita's expectations and mine as well.


One of the great things Dead Rita did was celebrate her family. My birthday is May 31st. In the 'good old days' Memorial Day was always the 30th of May. So we would always go to the Memorial Day Parade. And I always imagined it was a parade for me! (no illusions of grandeur there!!)


We'd celebrate my BD on the 30th. And then on the 31st I'd celebrate AGAIN. I eventually (and still ) grew to celebrate my birthday the entire month of May! But I'm tough: it ends promptly at midnight on May 31st. June celebrations for me lack that 'birthday' feel. But any and all events in May are sanctioned.

Last May 31st I turned 50 and declared it my Jubilee Year – 50th year celebration just like….wait for it….the QUEEN! It was a good year!


I went to Rwanda, loved my family, grew my business and most importantly, wrote Dead Rita's Wisdom. It's done and now it's in the rewrite stage. I'm very excited about it and sharing her wisdom.


A strong part of her was celebrating those she loved. I strive to do the same. I love giving someone a round of applause - literally or figuratively. So let's hear it for the little victories. The overcoming of unbelievable obstacles. The joy of the moment.


And the importance of sharing wisdom. That must be celebrated. And so as I prepare to enter my Jubilee piĆ¹ un, may I not forget to celebrate – for myself and others.

1 comment:

Sara said...

my middle name is victoria & I always joke about being a queen b/c of it, especially as my first name is sara which means princess . . . i figure with princess for a first name & a queen for middle name I must be royal :) glad you enjoyed your jubilee year, here's to another 50 wonderful years!!!!