Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Power of One Word….or Many!

I talked at 9 months. It took almost 2 years to learn to walk! I've been talking and walking ever since. And I like the idea of walking my talk. And this just got silly!

But today and this week I have been thinking more than usual about the power of my words and the words of others. Over the weekend in Portland a very distraught man stood on the edge of the balcony at the Marriott Waterfront Hotel and was finally talked "down" after 15 hours! Useless people on the ground suggested he just jump. I can't remember the last time I called someone useless but I sincerely mean it. Luckily, the man who was so distraught was smarter than the fools on the ground.

But it took 15 hours. I don't know what was said but I believe that the power of many words can finally get through one pure, necessary thought to make sense of something or anything that makes no sense prior to the words. We must talk. We must share what we know.

And sometimes it's just one word. This morning at Toastmasters, the table topic was from understanding how a single word could help us solve a problem. A Rune stone was chosen, the symbol was interpreted and then the speaker was asked to discuss their issue from the meaning of their stone.

I was thinking about my issue of time. I don't have enough. To work on finishing up Dead Rita's Wisdom. To get new coaching clients. Work on the Itafari Foundation. Speak at events. Love and be with my family, especially John. Work out. Etc. etc. etc. And my symbol stood for "flow". And I talked about flow versus balance. And that it is flow that I need. Balance doesn't interest me. I want it all and I want to find the flow to get it all.

One word. The word 'one'. It's one of the last things Dead Rita said to me before she became dead. I was caring for her and she looked up at me and said, "you know Vic, we are one." And I said, "I know Mom."

Who knows when my next profound moment will come. My next problem solved. But I know it's going to involve words….maybe one…..maybe many.

No comments: