Sunday, April 27, 2008

Click!



Click. That's the sound I love when I'm working on a puzzle and find a piece that had been eluding me. It's a very satisfying sound. I'm highly aware of the sounds of my world. Music. Laughter. Conversation. The roar of approval. The echoing of applause. The emotion of a sob. The beauty of silence. To choose blindness or deafness, I would choose to be blind. (and while I KNOW you're listening God, this is not a request).

My life and my work are a huge puzzle to me. And that's exactly the feeling I have when something doesn't happen that I know will happen. So when that knowing becomes a being….there is a satisfying clicking noise.

That happened yesterday after my conversation with President Bill Clinton. I've been circling him for a couple of years ever since I became interested in Rwanda. Wouldn't it be great, I thought, to meet him and let him know about the work of Itafari! His current work in Rwanda is equally impressive as was his lack of interest in the genocide in 1994, when he was President. He freely and regretfully admits ignoring the genocide was the single biggest mistake of his presidency. He has vowed to make it up for the rest of his life. And I sincerely believe, so far, so good!

In the last two years, I've had a few close calls. When I was in New York in April 2006 to speak at the U.N., I was supposed to meet with one of Clinton's top fundraisers. At the last minute, he had to go to Boston, meeting canceled. Adam Bacher, who took the pictures on our last trip to Rwanda has met him and shared with him the story of Itafari. When Clinton came to Portland last year to speak at the World Affairs Council International Speakers Series, I was given a ticket. I KNEW I would meet him then! And as I sat in a choice seat in the balcony, I realized I was wrong. And it was on the drive home that I had absolute peace that it wasn't meant to be. And that was ok.

I don't believe that the work we do in Rwanda is at all about one person, one key player. Itafari is the opposite. It is about the ordinary man and woman accomplishing the extraordinary. But I absolutely believe in extraordinary moments.


And in one of those extraordinary moments, a wonderful friend, Marilyn, spoke about me and Itafari to one of Clinton's people, Dan, who was in Portland prior to Clinton's visit to stump for Hillary this weekend. He said he would try to get me an opportunity to meet the President. Another long shot. I was hopeful but not overly so. Then yesterday at 2:45pm I spoke to Dan. "Can you be at Oregon City High School between 4-5pm today?"


And yesterday I stood with nine other people to privately greet him before he spoke to the hopeful at Oregon City High School. And when he greeted me, I greeted him. With thanks, for his work in the world that is changing lives. Especially the lives of those in Rwanda.

I hope he found me as memorable as I found him. He graciously acknowledged from the podium the dignitaries in attendance that I'd stood with to greet him. And then he spoke of meeting me – I know it was because anyone who is doing good work in the world reminds him of his desire to change the world, and he truly loves Rwanda.


Everywhere I go in Rwanda I see signs of his desire to give back. He is honored in Rwanda and makes me proud to be an American when I am there. He travels there quietly – they're not press junkets. He goes in, confers with those that lead his efforts, and gets back out. The Clinton Foundation is a mighty force for changing the world. http://clintonfoundation.org/


And we'll see what meeting him will eventually mean for Itafari. I was not overcome with joy….but I heard that satisfying clicking noise.


For the same reasons I want to meet Oprah and Bono. Click. Click.


And Bette Midler to talk with her about Dead Rita – the book! Click.


And Ricardo Moltalban because I have had a crush on him for 35 years. (I've not defined that noise yet….it could be a squeal.)

1 comment:

Sara said...

gotta love clicking moments!!!

I had one the other day when I realised I need to find a new career . . . now if only I knew what the new one should be (still waiting for that second click)