Monday, November 24, 2008

I wish I could see what you see



It was always one of the things about Dead Rita that was so frustrating. She couldn't see herself clearly. She couldn't see the beauty, the wisdom, the strength that those of us who knew her saw in her. And when I would spend hours talking with her about who she was, and that she could do anything, she'd look at me and sadly say, "I wish I could see myself the way you see me. But I don't."


I thought I had that one under control. That I saw myself clearly. But in the last few days, and especially today, I realized, I don't. I am truly not believing what is possible – or what I've accomplished. And it's a shame. Because too much time is spent trying to overcome my OWN objections. Really frustrated, I decided to blog about this and then I thought about turning to a chapter in Dead Rita's Wisdom for some….wisdom! And the following is an excerpt of what I found just now that I had previously written in a moment of clarity in the Chapter titled "Yes, but":


After she died, I received a wonderful gift from her. I believe it is the last piece of wisdom I ever heard in her voice. It was in 2003, I was at a coaching retreat and had come to some realizations about who I truly was and what I could bring to the world. And it wasn't grand or grandiose, but it was life changing and very grounding for me. Knowledge brings peace – there was no euphoria, just a settling in my soul who I was. And as I sat journaling in this last day of the retreat, I was filled with a serenity and then I heard Dead Rita say to me, "Vic, you have just learned what I never knew: you have learned who you are and now no one will have to spend their lifetime trying to show you that – and no one will have the responsibility as you felt for me to try and get them to see their own innate skills and gifts."


If Dead Rita's Wisdom never hits the shelves, I'm good because it's real wisdom and it will used to help those who can benefit from it through me. (But I'm seriously up for a monster book tour!)


I forgot what I know. I have to reflect and remember and see myself as others see me. Not for better or worse (the way I usually head), but actually as who I am.


In my fears and frustration today, I continue to faithfully ask for signs and support. And they come not from an apparition of Dead Rita, but in the form of profound conversations – and wonderful friends, old and new, who touched my life today.


And I am truly thankful.

5 comments:

Sara said...

apparently you're having your "thanks"giving day a few day early :) I really hope this book comes out soon, so I too can read it!!!

Laura said...

I find that many amazing women feel this way about themselves....

Why is it that it can be so difficult to see yourself as others see you?

Its not that I don't want to see myself that way...I want to see it, I do. But, if I do, will I remain humble in spirit? Will I stay pure of heart?
I will continue to try to see myself as others see me...with a pure and humble heart.
Great blog....thanks Vic !
Love you

Vicky Trabosh said...

It is not easy to see yourself fully. Because it's too easy to feel proud. And I want to be confident from who I am - not proud of what I've done. Because pride goeth before the fall. Be confident in who you are. In what you're capable of doing. And always know it was in you all along - so pride isn't ever necessary. And you will stay pure and humble.

Phyllis said...

Victoria: Just catching up a bit on your blog --- good reading. You've benefited much from your mom's life.

My dad died yesterday. While we were not close (physically) too often in later years --- yet still always had the warmth and clear, deep love for each other when we talked or met, he truly helped shape my life. He and my brother were my best friends as I grew up. Used to say he taught me more about business by 17 than others did later.

Very good to know he's in heaven now.

Blessings,
Phyllis

Vicky Trabosh said...

Dear Phyllis, I am so very sorry for your loss. There is comfort knowing he is in heaven....how I sometimes wish those we love could be in both places.

May the best of him live on in you - may his wisdom continue to shape your life and remind you of your love for him. And may you be comforted to know that by sharing your love he continues to love on through your words.

Always,

Vicky